Friday, December 27, 2013

First Exposure to Long Exposure




Several years ago I was fortunate enough to work on the team bringing Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro 2 to market. Our product manager Josh Haftel was a huge black and white fan and saw the potential for the software to help photographers interested in long exposure photography really turn out world-class work.  We often created inspirational videos for brand new products, and he recommended that we work with a Dutch photographer named Joel Tjintjelaar on the Silver Efex Pro 2 product intro video.

Joel was a lawyer by trade (if my memory serves), but very passionate about long exposure photography. What started out as a hobby for him has actually earned him 'round the world recognition. View his exquisite work on the BWVision.com website.

Watching Joel take the image of Crystal Pier here in San Diego that would come to be emblematic of the product planted a seed in my brain ("I really want to do this someday"). At some point, my friend and work colleague Laurie Rubin mentioned that the finest 10-stop filter for crafting long exposures is the Lee Filters Big Stopper.  I had investigated them and determined they were simply too expensive for this lad.

Until Christmas 2013. I was given a Big Stopper as a company gift from the gents at Macphun Software - it's something I would never have bought myself, but recall casually mentioning it at the office as something for which I'd lusted. Lo and Behold, it ended up underneath my tree (thanks guys!).

My first image, above, was a re-imagining of that first shoot by Joel out at Crystal Pier. I used Macphun's Snapheal Pro (as a plug-in from Lightroom) to remove some dust spots and then converted to black and white in Lightroom.

Long exposure photography is by nature a bit experimental. Once you've framed the shot and determined your shutter speed, you sort of multiply that time by 10 (if using a 10-stop filter) and fire away. I used a locking remote and also covered my viewfinder to limit any light leaks.

However, by the time I got things dialed in, there was a lot of light being thrown out by the Sun. The shot below was a long-ish exposure from this morning, only about 40 seconds. I left it in color because I liked the way the water on the wave and beach look like will-o'-the-wisps... darting and cavorting in the morning light. ;-)



The shot below was processed using Lightroom, Macphun's Snapheal Pro and Macphun's Intensify Pro with the "dreamy" preset. Intensify just earned one of Apple's "Best of 2013" honors.



I'm absolutely enthralled with the results of the Big Stopper and plan to use it and experiment further every chance I get. 

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

Makes my heart happy when friends such as you are so honored and rewarded by their co-workers and friends. Well deserved...Kev...continue to be blessed.