Monday, January 18, 2010

R.I.P. River

"Cry Me a River Wild" departed this shiny Blue Marble in the general direction of Dog Heaven this evening. If there's some meandering to do, count on some o' that. 

My supreme pal with angel wings, near limitless energy, a zest for family, and a curiously aerodynamic bump on your head, I will miss you bud...

"Now it is lonely inside my heart; I don't know what to do..."
~~ Emily La Rue


"River was one of the best dogs a kid could ask for."
~~ Ethan La Rue 



Rest in Peace River (but run like heck!) 

d. Jan 18, 2010








1.24.10:  We have the greatest friends in the world.  Since I cross-posted on Facebook, I'm sharing some of the comments from that place to this place, as follows:

Rod Baine
So sorry my friend... he served his master well, and can now rest.
January 18 at 8:38pm ·

Michael Rubin
Hang in there bud!
January 18 at 8:46pm ·

Steve Koenig
Sorry to hear that Kev. Tough losing a pet, a member of the family. Give my best to the wife and kids.
January 18 at 10:01pm ·

Laurie Shupp
Kevin, a great big hug to you and your family. I have the feeling that Caleb will be joining River soon...
January 18 at 10:24pm ·

Mornee P Sherry
I Stood By Your Bed

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep

I whined to you softly As you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."...


I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, Your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to re-assure you, That I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, As you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me"

You looked so very tired, And sank into a chair, I tried so hard to let you know, That I was standing there.

It's possible for me, To be so near you every day. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, Then smiled, I think you knew… In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

An when the time is right for you, To cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you, And we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, There is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out…

Then come home to be with me.


I feel for you buddy...hopefully this helps!
January 18 at 11:55pm ·

Cindy Taylor
Aw Kev....losing a special friend is NEVER easy....I hope your happy memories bring you peace and comfort. The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.
January 19 at 7:21am ·

Alex Tosheff
He had a good long and well-loved life - even though we tried to do them in once or twice (penasquitos flood) I'd like to think River and Romeo are chasing each other somewhere else now :)
January 19 at 7:25am ·

Lauren Tosheff
The focus on that dog, standing there at the beach waiting for you to throw that Frisbee.... We'll never forget River, and always be grateful for your friendship because of 2 great dogs.
January 19 at 4:11pm ·

Jon Wright
Dude, know how you feel, and while it's the right thing to do it is never pleasant. I felt a lot of emotional angst as I watched the life leave Desi's eyes, and while I was sad I was also relieved that the struggle and pain were over. Our family will miss him dearly, even though he never failed to nail me in the crotch every time I showed up at your door.
January 19 at 5:56pm ·

4 comments:

Tony said...

From our family to yours, our hearts are breaking for you. But tonight he's running free and no longer in pain. What a great collection of smiles he must have left you all.

Steve said...

Awwwww.. I was so sorry to hear of this tonight.. I hope you guys are all doing ok.

cuz steve

Jody said...

We are all sorry here in Iowa. Sassy,Gretzky, Minnie, Jer and myself will take a walk in the snow today in honor of River. He was awesome and the only dog Mom never minded having in the house.
j

thedoglady said...

So sorry to hear of River's departure. I walk with our Zoe, the Hipless Wonder, every day and sometimes call her Chani. She just turned six and we want to enjoy her herding, insouciant presence as long as we can. River was one cool dog. D