Sunday, January 18, 2009

The "Gem" Next Door

Not only is San Diego enjoying record warm temperatures this Winter, unlike most of the rest of the country (ummm... it was in the upper 70's this afternoon and I washed Kim's car as well as my F800GS), but we live in an incredibly beautiful area.  I was inspired by my friend Kevin Carmony, who wrote recently of running in the Rancho Santa Fe area, to remark briefly on Los Penasquitos Canyon.  It's truly a "gem next door" - about a 5 minute walk from my front door.

PQ Canyon is an urban canyon stretching some 5-7 miles from basically Highway 15 to Highway 805 sandwiched between the communities of Mira Mesa and Rancho Penasquitos.  I've hiked, mountain biked, run, cavorted with the dogs and kids, Geocached, and basically enjoyed this ecological wonder since I bought the Covina house in the early 90's.

Heck, Alex Tosheff and I almost killed our dogs Romeo & River one twilight hike in the rain a decade ago.  We were trying to figure out how to cross the raging stream near the waterfall in the middle of the canyon when of course both dogs decided to go "wading" in the water. Which, of course, promptly proceeded to sweep them down towards the aforementioned waterfall.  Luckily, their mighty and desperate dog-paddling delayed the inevitable long enough for us to grab their collars and cheat the Devil again.  The wives were NOT happy.  ;-)

Lately, PQ Canyon has been a willing photographic subject, as I explore my new passion and continue to experiment with the Nik Software photographic filters.  Here are some of my favorites...

 
(Silver Efex Pro)

  
(Silver Efex Pro)

(Viveza & Color Efex Pro 3.0)
  
(Viveza & Color Efex Pro 3.0)
  
 (Color Efex Pro 3.0)
(Color Efex Pro)
  
 (Color Efex Pro 3.0)
  
(Viveza & Color Efex Pro 3.0)

What a lovely spot on the planet...

2 comments:

Kevin Carmony said...

Awesome photos!

Alex said...

Ha - I remember they were wearing LED collars - which added some drama to the scene...