Saturday, May 03, 2008

F800GS Scheduled for Production!

Etho, Nils Kokemohr (Nik Software founder) and I took a drive early this Saturday to hike up Stonewall Peak above Cuyamaca Reservoir in East San Diego county. Wonderful morning, cool breezes, clear skies. We three had such a good time, and were surprisingly "on schedule" for other activities planned later in the day, that we decided to have lunch at Major's Diner in Pine Valley.

Major's is the quintessential small cross-roads town diner, popular with locals and visitors alike. The moment Nils walked in - he calls Hamburg home by the way - he nodded, smiled and said that this was an All-American diner. As we finished lunch, a few guys wandered in, dusty from the road, grinning from ear-to-ear, and clearly dual-sport riders. I began to wonder whether San Diego BMW Motorcycles had any current info on the F800GS I'd ordered way back when...

After dropping Nils off, Ethan and I headed to the BMW dealer to see what was shaking. Terrific news that made a good day even greater: My bike is scheduled for production in early June, and expected 60 days later. That would make it an AUGUST delivery - wahoo!
Mike Lynch, the sales manager, printed the Status document below. It's not much and it's pretty thin evidence that something is stirring in Bavaria, but it's definitely *something.* The mind wanders...

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Hey! Any idea when the first 800GS models are supposed to arrive? (Are you in the first run?)

Kevin said...

I wish I knew, Nathan. I went in on the 3rd of June, and they first said "60 days." Then, later a little back-peddling to "might be mid- to late August, ya never know!"

So... your guess is as good as mine. After 7-8 months, I'm ready! Let's go riding in the Fall... KLR