Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Blank Stare of Despair

Somebody once said "good things come to those who wait." God what drivel! Gentle Readers, you will not believe the sordid tale which I'm about to recount. It's a tale of narcissistic smugness, turning to disbelief, anger, despair, and finally resignation.

A minor digression if you'll permit... shortly after my high school "career" came to an end, thanks to my supportive parents I found myself in the Colorado Rockies as part of an Colorado Outward Bound course. Three glorious weeks above 14,000 feet in early June. What a beautiful experience! I did things and found strength that I wouldn't have believed just months earlier: Try lugging a 40lb pack up and down the peaks for 3 weeks, pal! Slipping 75 yards down an icy ridge with the point of an ice axe desperately digging into frozen water the only thing saving me from a loooonnngggg, dangerous trip down. Learning how to cook, read a map, count on others, and lead. I was one of the younger people in the group, but not the youngest. And yes, we all survived more or less.

The reason I bring this up is that at one point, the guide situated the group of us around a lake, about 1/2 mile apart, for 3 days of pure solitude with no food. The idea was to spend some time reflecting on our lives, cleansing our bodies at the same time. At the end of day 2, I was pretty much hallucinating and starting to talk to the bugs. We were all pretty lean and blowing through our calorie intake each day so there wasn't a lot of fat to give. I'm sure that made us doubly susceptible to starvation (!) and I kept thinking ahead to the meal I was going to have when the "Solo" was over - mmmmm...

Which brings me straight back to the sordid tale of despair: BMW has announced a 6 month delay in the F800GS - the hallowed subject of my last post. Of course, so far they have offered NO explanation of said delay for a U.S. delivery in Sept. '08. People who have placed deposits are hoping for some kind of "consideration", but the best consideration of all would be to get the damned bike on time. I'm not the only one who sold his bike in anticipation. Ouch - that's just hurtful.

Ah well, this will give me more time to scare up the funds, more time to dream of roads less traveled, and more time to get in riding shape.

1 comment:

Jean-Michel said...

Hi there, you posted a comment about your pictures having diseapeared, they seem to be back. Did you get it sorted finally. I am not getting any answer from blogger at all about my problem. www.jmpieda.blogspot.com Thanks for your help. Jean-Michel