Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Windy Road to Carmel

Don't let the title of this post fool you - I'm not talking about a beautiful road that winds along the coast, although that would be a perfectly reasonable assumption on our coastal trip. Nope, this is about the adventure that is driving a high-profile vehicle in the stout breezes that frequent the environs from Pismo Beach to Monterey.

Now that we're hunkered down at the Carmel-by-the-River RV park nestled in the woods south of Carmel Valley road, it's time to de-pressurize a little. I brought some local hooch - Anchor Steam from San Francisco -to commemorate the occasion. The dogs are fed, walked, and sleeping. The kids want to play pool at the game room, but I'm putting them off until after my dinner to Tortilla Soup - prerogative of a parent, I suppose.

Earlier in the day though, it was another matter. The culprit: high winds. With a loose but alert grip on the steering wheel, I soldiered on through blasts that had me occasionally making the rumble strip sing or drivers in the next lane as nervous as Kim was! I figured that so long as I saw semi-tractor trailers and other motorhomes on the road, I was OK. Probably flawed thinking, but things turned out well enough... Up beautiful Hwy 101 through the hills around San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, San Miguel, King city, Greenfield, Soledad, Salinas and finally into Carmel-by-the-Sea, the road was sweet and the hills promised pastoral sunsets that I would not see.

Every trip in the RV yields new insights and of course new things to fix (yes, we're compiling a list). Still... I don't know how to make it impervious to the vagaries of wind except to contract with Porsche engineering... LOL

No comments: